Friday, March 9, 2007

Cultural dichotomy test

In Spanish there is a saying –dime con quién andas y te diré quién eres- which could roughly be translated as “tell me who you walk with and I’ll tell you who you are”. The point is (although I’m not sure there is a point, I’m just procrastinating really) that our acquaintances define us. If you have a strong tendency towards solipsism and hermetic hibernation like me, then more than actual people, it is the detritus of pop/high culture that you’re aquianted with. With this in mind (I am very bored, mind you) I have developed a cultural dichotomy test that can help you figure out your place in a bi-polar world. As you’ll see, however, it is totally arbitrary and probably says a lot more about me than I would like, starting with the fact that I actually took the time to write it and then answered it.

Beatles or the Stones?
The Stones, all the way, the Beatles are just too Beatlesque

Lennon or McCartney?
McCartney was the real tunesmith. Lennon is overrated anyway.

Nina Simone or Ella Fitzgerald?
That’s kind of an unfair question, I know. At any rate, I couldn’t live without Nina Simone.

The Clash or the Sex Pistols?
The Clash, the Sex Pistols was just a good publicity stunt.

Britney Spears of Christina Aguilera?
Christina Aguilera, of course. Not only can she actually sing, but I find her way more attractive. Although I must say that I find Britney’s recent descent into white trash insanity quite appealing.

Biggie or 2Pac?
Biggie, NYC baby.

Chaplin or Buster Keaton?
Buster Keaton is my hero.

Coppola or Scorcese?
Coppola, the first two Godfathers encompass all of Scorcece’s work put together.

Lucas or Spielberg?
SPIELBERG, I grew up on Indiana Jones and E.T.

Robert Rodriguez or Quentin Tarantino?
I don’t care too much for the sophomoric chicks with guns aesthetic either way, but I’d have to say Tarantino just on the strength of his first two pics.

Wes Anderson or Sofia Coppola?
Sofia Coppola, Wes Anderson is just too damned precious for my taste.

Iñárritu or Cuarón?
Cuarón any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Jack Black or Will Ferrell?
When I grow up I want to be like Jack Black.

Penélope Cruz or Salma Hayek?
Interesting, I love Penélope.

Faulkner or Hemingway?
“the world is a tale full of sound and fury told by idiots signifying nothing” Nuff said.

Delillo or Roth?
I have to go with Delillo, although Portnoy’s Complaint was a very important book for me.

Shakespeare of Cervantes?
I challange all of Shakespeare to come up with a single Quixote (and if he does, he still has to come up with a Sancho).

Malcom X of MLK?
Hummm, it depends on which side of the bed I got out from: the combative or the peacefully resistant.

Hillary or Barak?
I don’t even care about this one.

Y para los boricuas…

Hector Lavoe o Rubén Blades?
Hector, all the way.

Eddie Santiago o Frankie Ruiz?
Frankie Ruiz, por supuesto.

Haciendo Punto o Roy Brown?
Whatever.

Silvio o Pablo Milanés?
Silvio, por supuesto.

Don Omar o Daddy Yankee?
Don Omar me parece más real.

Tego Calderón o el Residente?
El Tego.

Superaquello o Circo?
Superaquello, pero estoy viciado.

Polbo o Dávila 666?
He tenido esta discusión 20,000 veces con mi esposa y aunque ella no esté de acuerdo yo creo que Dávila roquea bien duro.

Cocolos o roqueros?
Me voy a tirar un cop-out… rocolos (como yo)

Luis Rafael Sánchez o Edgardo Rodríguez Juliá?
Edgardo Rodríguez Juliá

Ana Lydia o Rosario?
Por favor, no voy a dignificar esa pregunta con una respuesta.

Manuel Abreu Adorno o Manuel Ramos Otero?
Abreu Adorno.

Jacobo Morales o Marcos Zurinaga?
Jacobo.

Medalla o India?
No conozco a nadie que beba cerveza India.

2 comments:

davilita said...

Pina Bausch o Sally Silvers? (jamás pondría en contra a Viveca y Teresa)
Maritza o Rosa Luisa? (me lo robé de piedra, papel y tijera
Por Arecibo o por Ponce?
Con logo o sin logo?
sicólogo o siquiatra?

Adolfo Pinch said...

You ALREADY ARE Jack Back! Now grow up!